Tuesday, June 12, 2018

The Midnight Visitor

So, we have been having problems with a raccoon getting into the dog food at nights.  I try to remember to close the side door to the garage at nights, but I am not 100% faithful.  A neighbor loaned me a live trap some time ago, but the raccoon was able to open the back of the trap and escape.  Nevertheless, I left food in the trap just because.  Well, Saturday morning I went outside and discovered:


Now, this little (!) guy was not necessarily friendly.  I had the idea of trying to push him back into the trap, so I grabbed the broom you can see to the left of the door frame and poked at him.  It now has teeth marks on the end of it.  Just moments after I shot this picture the raccoon managed to pull himself completely out of the trap and ran off.

Just for reference, this is what the trap looks like "after":


He actually managed to break some spot-welds and some clips that were holding the mesh on the front of the trap.  I have no idea how long he was there before I found him, but I suspect this will not discourage him from future midnight forays into my dog food.

No comments:

Post a Comment