Monday, October 24, 2022

Missionary Email #19

 Dear All -


Aside from the fact that I did not use my time wisely yesterday there is really no reason why I missed writing.  There's probably a lesson in there for me somewhere if I could just figure out what it is.

Last Monday we decided to climb Cerro Ancon (Ancon Hill).  I believe it is the highest point in Panama City, and it certainly overlooks all the main parts of the city.  It's not quite the same as climbing 14ers in Colorado, since there is a paved road all the way, and the elevation at the top is only 600 feet, but it was still very fun.  You start off with a bunch of stairs, and I thought if the whole climb was going to be like that it was going to be a challenge.



However, the stairs soon gave way to the road, and the rest of the climb was easier.  The entire hill is covered in heavy jungle, but occasionally there would be a break in the greenery and we could see parts of the city.



As you can see, the day was cloudy and we thought it would rain on us, but the rain never came, and the clouds kept the temperature in the bearable range.  From the top we could see lots of the city, including (if you look carefully enough) the temple.


On the way back down we came upon a group of monkeys next to the road.  They were picking fruit off the tree and eating it.  They were a little wary of us, but not too concerned.




At the temple I sometimes forget that our attendance is still recovering from COVID.  I am reminded when someone who attends will ​say it's the first time they have been in two years.  We are praying that as time goes by more and more people will reestablish the habit of attending regularly.

On Friday we had two young couples get sealed on our shift.  It is always exciting to see couples getting sealed, but it also caused me to think about what it meant that they were there in the temple.  In order to get to that point they had already lived lives of righteousness and made the necessary choices.  I was grateful as I talked with them to recognize their commitment.

Saturday the sealer who would have been on the shift was sick and was unable to attend, so I ended up covering three sealing sessions.  It was the first time I have worked full sessions, and the experience was very impactful.  The words of the sealing are so profound and uplifting.  Memorizing the ordinances in Spanish makes some of the words stand out more to me as I consider why they were chosen for the translation.  I appreciate the opportunity to perform these sacred ordinances.

Yesterday I got to watch Daniel and Ashley's ward's Primary program.  As I was sitting on my couch with the phone in my hand I thought about the technological wonders that allowed me to see my grandson's say their parts even though I am thousands of miles away.  When they got to the end of the program I thought "Ah, now is when the bishop stands up and gives his closing remarks!"  Sure enough, there was Daniel.  I felt very proud of him as he offered some heartfelt observations.

It is hard to describe all the joy we are feeling as we fulfil this mission, but I hope some of it comes through.  This is indeed a wonderful opportunity, and I am very grateful for it.

Love,

John and Delkys

No comments:

Post a Comment