Sunday, September 4, 2022

Missionary Email #2

 Whatever the issue was that was keeping us from starting in the temple early got resolved before Wednesday, so we actually started our service on Wednesday.  Except for Tuesday night baptistry assignments (of which there was not one last week) we worked a full week.  We spent at least one shift in the temple each day, and on Friday we also worked in the baptistry in the evening.  It is so good to be working and not just marking time.  Yes, there was a lot to do with getting supplies purchased and otherwise settling in to the apartment, but this is so much better.


Of course, the rainy season has continued.  Several times during the week I have been planning to go out somewhere, only to realize that the heavens have opened and the rain is dumping down.  Perhaps soon I will learn always to have an umbrella with me.  Notwithstanding the rain, there are also times when the clouds part and the sun streams down, and everything looks beautiful.

Yesterday in the temple I noticed some teeny little black beatles wandering around.  I saw them in different places, so I worried there might be some sort of infestation.  I was going to mention them to the maintenance people, but I happened to see the temple president first.  He said he was very familiar with them; they are just one of the consequences of the rainy season.  They collect them up every night, they fumigate monthly, but they are still around.  I should be glad they are benign little pests.

We had two groups at the temple yesterday.  There was a group of 13 youths from Chiriqui, which is a 7-hour bus ride away.  They were actually there Friday night, then showed up at the temple again yesterday before the doors were open.  Then there was a group of 18 sisters who came together from about an hour away.  Delkys and I were asked to be the witness couple for the endowment session they were on, so there were 19 sisters and me on the session.

I realized I hadn't taken any pictures this week, so I rushed outside to snap a few.  This first one is the front of the temple.




You can kind of see the clouds behind the temple, so I decided to get a better shot of them.




Finally, a shot of the jungle across the street from the temple.




We also stayed after church to practice with the ward choir today.  So we are getting comfortable here, and are having a great time.  We miss the folks back home, and hope you are all doing well.

Love,

Elder and Sister Reading
aka
John and Delkys

No comments:

Post a Comment