Sunday, September 4, 2022

Missionary Email #7

 Dear all -


Another week has zipped by.  Especially in retrospect it always seems like they have gone by so fast.  I have to remember that we really did enjoy the time while we were going through it.

Last Monday I finally got moving a little and baked a batch of chocolate chip cookies.  I do not follow the recipe religiously, and so they turn out a little different each time I make them.  This time they turned out particularly well, if I say so myself (which I just did).  We gave some to all the families here in the apartments, but quite a number of the cookies found a home in my stomach.

Delkys got together with some of the other sisters here and processed some coconuts into different types of confections.  I tried a little bit of the fresh coconut, and had to admit it is much better than the packaged stuff we usually get, but it is still not my favorite.




Apparently the unrest in the country is settling down somewhat, so all the streets are open at least part of the day.  There are still some people that have trouble getting to the temple, but it is not as bad as it was.  I think the protesters are still negotiating with the government, and there is some progress being made.

The rain continues to fall, which is expected.  I awoke from ... I mean, after some meditation this afternoon I looked out the window and realized the rain was pouring down.  It doesn't look as impressive in a picture, but I had to try.



For the last few weeks I have been getting weekly statements about my transactions on my missionary debit card.  Since I didn't have a missionary debit card they have been pretty boring.  This week I finally got a missionary debit card.  I doubt there is any money on it, so the weekly reports will not be much more interesting.  I told the temple president I'll never leave home without it.

The temple department requested a portrait of the two of us together "for use by the temple department and the general authorities."  That sounds ominous.  So we went through a moderately painful process of trying to find a studio, but finally found a really nice place and had our picture taken.


President Garcia has been giving us instruction in preparation for serving in the temple presidency.  Someone from the Temple Department teaches him, then he in turn shares it with the rest of the presidency.  President Smith, the current temple president, has been giving instruction to all the sealers one-on-one, and he said since I will be a sealer he also gave it to me.  It has all been very uplifting, and rather awe inspiring.  Both the new presidency training and the sealer training concentrate on creating the most uplifting experience possible for the temple patrons.  In some ways I am really looking forward to starting our service, in other ways I am very nervous.  I guess growing experiences tend to be like that.





So that's it.  We are staying very busy, having a great experience, and looking forward to the adventures that yet await us.  We love all of you, and appreciate your support and love.

Elder and Sister Reading
aka
John and Delkys


No comments:

Post a Comment