Friday, May 5, 2017

Visible Progress

Well, I am finally starting to make visible progress on the kitchen:


Since we are seeing it straight-on it is not obvious what the differences in depths are.  The cabinet over the refrigerator is basically as deep as the refrigerator.  Putting it up was an interesting exercise.  The two right-most cabinets are slightly out of horizontal, so I am going to have to move them a little this morning.  After looking at the picture I realized that the cabinet with its back to us (which is the next one to go up) is blocking the bottom cabinet that I have put in to the left of the range.  Once I take out the cabinets on the right I can put in the base cabinet and the new cook top, so I am excited about that.

After straightening the two cabinets, though, I am going to have to put in the microwave.  That ought to be interesting.  I am actually going to open up the wall, because the only stud for mounting it is right in the middle of the microwave, which precludes venting it back through the wall.  So I am going to build a frame of 2x4's so that the vent can go through and I will have multiple "studs" for mounting.  The new microwave only weighs about 80 pounds, so I am going to need some help getting it into place.  I have been building supports for the cabinets as I go along, and I think I will do one for the microwave as well.

It has been a week, but I should also comment on the snow.  After ridiculously warm weather for weeks we got 8 inches of snow last Friday night, then it snowed all day Saturday adding another three inches of snow.  So below is the view out the north window of the house Sunday morning:


 Eleven hours later I took about the same shot:


Snow doesn't last too long in the Spring.  Oh well.  The temperature got down to 19°F, which is pretty cold for Spring.  Most of the trees lost all of their leaves to the cold, but I am pretty sure they will grow a new set of leaves.  I haven't checked to see if any peaches survived.  The older tree had set fruit, so I guess there is a small chance it survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment