Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Water

I typically walk Charlie in an open area ("greenbelt", in the local vernacular) close to the house.  There is a small stream that runs through it.  There is one stream crossing in particular where they have had problems in recent years with the water running across the trail.  They have tried three different configurations now to prevent that.  The newest configuration had its first test yesterday when it rained steadily for about 5 hours.  It failed miserably.  I know, I know, I should have taken a picture.  They built a dyke about 3 feet tall to channel the water to where it is supposed to go under the sidewalk.  The dyke was breached in four places this morning.  I think when they propose solutions they just can't picture the volume of water that goes down there during a storm.  Much lower down we crossed again.  They recently reconfigured that crossing by constricting the tubes that flow under the sidewalk (?!?), but at least the sidewalk is about four feet higher than the creek bed.  You can see marks where the water was flowing at least six feet deep there.  Someday I need to go out while it is raining and take pictures.

I put in two more cabinets yesterday.  Only two more to go on that wall, then there are only two on the wall above the sink.  Tee hee!  Then I have to attack the lower cabinets.

No comments:

Post a Comment