Sunday, April 29, 2018

Primary Class

For the last few weeks we have been meeting with another Primary class, and discipline has been something of a problem.  Today it was just our 5 kids, so things went a lot more smoothly.

I asked the kids to write from memory the sacramental prayer on the bread.  I don't know if any of them got it all right, but they all did quite well.  But then I talked with them about whether we listen to the sacramental prayers out of habit, or whether we pay attention and think about what the words mean.  I discussed the significance of to whom we pray, and in whose name.  The kids were well-focused, and were giving very good answers.

That was not the assigned lesson, which was about Jacob and Rachel.  I did not mean to spend the whole lesson on the sacrament, but as so easily happens I took too long to get back on track.

I did ask them about the difference between "honesty" and "integrity", and got a very good answer from one of the boys.  I had taken a 1909 dictionary for them to look up the words.  They were fascinated by the dictionary.  I wasn't sure that kids were taught to use a dictionary now, but these kids had been.  "Honesty" did not have its own definition, it was a sub-entry under "honor", and when they finally got to "honesty" I would have said it was more the definition of "integrity".

No comments:

Post a Comment