Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Spring Break / Spring a Leak

Delkys has Spring Break this week, so I have been neglecting some other activities in favor of doing things with her.  However, I have continued working on the kitchen as well.

I have now relocated everything out of the soffits except for one wire - the 240V line to the current range.  The cable construction looks rather complicated, so I am not sure about cutting and splicing it like I have with the other electrical lines.  Also, I am going to run a new line for the new cook top anyway.  Since I have to open up the wall for the latter, I will at the same time move the plug for the range up, so then I will have enough slack in the wire to move it as well.  Clever, huh?

In the interest of ongoing education I tried an experiment today.  Did you know that if you touch a live 110V line to a water pipe that before the circuit breaker can trip it will burn a hole in the water line?  I may not have conducted the experiment on purpose, but the results were rather spectacular - a shower of sparks followed by darkness and a shower of water.  It was a dead enough short that it tripped the main breaker for the house.  Very impressive.  Since both water lines were right together I couldn't figure out how to get a pipe cutter in there, so I thought I was going to have to use a hack saw and risk cutting both lines in order to repair the pipe.  However, just before I started cutting I realized that the reciprocating tool (or whatever they call that multi-purpose cutter) would cut it very accurately, so I was able to repair it fairly quickly.  Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment