Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Great Soffitin' Succotash

Sorry, Charlie - we only walked 54 minutes this morning.

Yesterday I decided to install the first cabinet in the kitchen.  It is kind of off to one side by itself, so I figured it would be pretty straight-forward.  Right.

We decided we wanted to get rid of the soffit so that our cabinets could go up to the ceiling.  When we were ordering the cabinets I even cut into one part of the soffit to make sure there was nothing inside.

As it turns out, there are soffits on two sides of the kitchen.  The one I cut into had nothing in it.  However, I am installing the cabinet on the other wall.  Maybe a picture is worth a few words:


That is looking straight up from where I cut out a section of the soffit covering.  Yes - lots of electrical wires, water pipes, and ... Wait, what is that 1.5" PVC pipe?  I have no idea.  To the left of the picture you can see the joist for the ceiling - it would have taken the builders a lot of work to run everything 6" higher so it was within the joists instead of the soffit, but Noooo!  Also, if we could pivot and look behind where this picture is taken we would see the drain from the upstairs bathroom which also extends down into the soffit.  So this job went from a couple of hours of destruction to days of rerouting things.

Well, it's not like I don't have the time...

2 comments:

  1. Nate would love to be there if for no other reason than to learn how to do so many fun things.

    ReplyDelete