Tuesday, February 21, 2017

This is a heading

As Charlie and I were out walking this morning we got into a neighborhood we have never traversed before, and I was trying to find a trail back into the greenbelt.  I got thinking about what direction I was actually going, and realized that with the sun up I could figure it out easily enough.  I had to think a couple of seconds because ... hmm ... I was going approximately 180° different than what I thought.  Still, that is rather comforting.  No matter how confused I think I am about my heading, I am actually never more than 180° off.

So, traveling is bad for my adherence to most habits.  I only did my regular scripture study twice, only wrote here once, and a few other things suffered.  But I got to see my mother and grandkids (oh, and children), so that was good.

One classic moment was when I tried to adjust a blind, and the whole thing came crashing down.  My 4-year old grandson looked rather shocked and said "Gramps, you shouldn't do that!"  Of course, he's the same one that tried to convince his parents he should come home with us.  I thought we had explained to him that, tempting as that was, it was not realistic.  However, when we actually got in the car and backed out of the driveway he dissolved into tears.

On the drive home last night we encountered one patch of ice on the freeway.  It was only 10 or 15 feet long, but it was on a gentle curve, and that whole thing about 0 centripetal force means you go in a straight line tangential to the circle kicked in, and for just a moment it was alarming.  Physics is nice, but every now and then it can be a bother.

Well, back home, and back to the old grind.  I have to admit that I am not disappointed that the old grind does not include work.

No comments:

Post a Comment